FL26 optional hardtop on NV23, jacquesmm please

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
RR
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

FL26 optional hardtop on NV23, jacquesmm please

Post by RR » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:27 pm

Well Sir, I was hoping you would be so kind as to tell me what you think of this new idea of mine please? When you finish the design of the FL26 optional hardtop, could I buy the FL26 plans and the NV23 plans and then incorporate the FL26 hardtop on the NV23? The reasons for this are:
(1) I would like to use the boat 12 months out of the year, rain or
shine, and all temperatures.
(2) I would like to have an efficient boat with a small outboard, in
order to keep the fuel usage down. - 50 hp seems good.
(3) I wouldn't require a long cabin like the DE23 with it's extra
amenities like dining table and kitchen.
(4) I require a boat that's a little more seaworthy than the HM19.
(5) The P19 requires a larger outboard than I want to use.
(6) I would require more speed than the HMD18 offers.

Thank you in advance. :)

UncleRalph
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by UncleRalph » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:53 pm

The NV23 all ready has a hardtop?? Are you saying you want the sides enclosed? That would be something that would be easy to work out from the NV23 plans. Put on a side panel with whatever size window you want.

I did just the opposite on my HM 19. The plans called for an enclosed side:

but I wanted it open with a canvas/vinyl enclosure:

I would think a soft side would make the NV23 a year around boat in South Carolina, but like I said, it would be easy to make a hard side with a window from the plans yourself.

Ralph

RR
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by RR » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:08 pm

Thank you UncleRalph for your good advise and help. :D By the way, your HD19 is one of the most beautiful boats I've ever seen photos of, including all custom, production, and wooden boats :!: :D

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: FL26 optional hardtop on NV23, jacquesmm please

Post by jacquesmm » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:26 pm

RR wrote: When you finish the design of the FL26 optional hardtop, could I buy the FL26 plans and the NV23 plans and then incorporate the FL26 hardtop on the NV23?
If you can build the boat, you can build the hard top.
A hard top is very simple.
As soon as I finish the AB23 notes, I will sketch one for the FL26.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

RR
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by RR » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:38 pm

Thank you jacquesmm AGAIN for your help and advice :!: :D It is much appreciated. Have a great day :!: :D

Spokaloo
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Spokaloo » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:29 am

RR, do you have the plans for the Novi yet? From the hardtop thats on the boat, its a very simple procedure to close it in.

Are you considering a different style? Why do you want a different top?

E

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:23 pm

RR have you looked at the DE23 it is the cabin version of the Novi 23. If you don't need that m;uch cabin you could probably shorten it. Other than than the cabin the boats are the same.

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

RR
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by RR » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:40 pm

Hello Spokaloo and TomW. :D Sorry, I didn't see your posts until now.

Spokaloo, I haven't bought the plans for the Novi yet, because I was sketching up some hardtops for the Novi 23 and DE23 over the weekend.
Yes I want a different style top. The reason I want a different top is only cosmetic. I like the looks of YOUR hardtop you sketched up for the FL26 last month :!: :D I also like how the profile looks of the pilot house height of the DE23 more than the Novi 23. (The Novi 23 is too tall for me.) So, 'currently' I'm leaning toward the DE23. :lol:

TomW, yes I've been comparing the DE23 cabin version with the Novi 23. You are right, I don't need as much cabin space as the DE23 has. I've been sketching up shorter cabins for the DW23, but I wasn't sure whether we were allowed to change the boats design. (I've never built or owned a boat before.) Thank you for your advice :!: :D The DE23 seems to be the ticket, since we can probably shorted it's cabin length!

Spokaloo

Post by Spokaloo » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:49 pm

Im right there with ya on the novi.

I have been messing around with a west-coast style workboat top for that, as well as a Hinckley style top. Ideally something that would be open in the back, with sitting headroom to keep the lid down, but have been considering standing headroom. Obviously not sanctioned by Jacques, but I want sleeping accomodations, a small spot for a head, put the sink under the pilot's seat in a flip-top configuration since the sink wont be used while underway. Compact and comfy, with the aft end of the cabin open to the air and closed with canvas.

E

UncleRalph
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by UncleRalph » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:09 pm

RR wrote:I also like how the profile looks of the pilot house height of the DE23 more than the Novi 23. (The Novi 23 is too tall for me.) So, 'currently' I'm leaning toward the DE23.
I think the roof is lower on the DE23 because the sole (floor) of the pilothouse is lowered, but the NV23 pilothouse sole is the same level as the cockpit so that it will be self bailing and still have standing headroom. You have to decide which is important to you: self-bailing, standing headroom or lower roof profile. Pick any two. I don't think you can get all three on the NV23 or DE23. Meaning you can have:

1. Self bailing and standing headroom but the roof needs to be high (NV23).

OR

2. Self bailing and a lower roof profile, but it won't have standing headroom.

OR

3. Standing headroom with a lower roof, but the pilothouse won't be self bailing (DE23).

Ralph