FS18 Layout Help!!

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
Gramps
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

FS18 Layout Help!!

Post by Gramps » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:16 am

Hey guys I'm racking my brain but having a hard time coming up with the layout I want for the FS18. Can you help? Thinking about putting the gas & battery under the front deck...

I like Bayport Bob's layout but don't really want hatches.

I like Flaff's with the permanent tank, but don't know where a trolling motor battery would fit. I do like the cutout in Frame B, easy in easy out.

:help:

I plan on doing a center box similar to the HB g-skiff and similar to Joel's. Want to keep it as a cooler/drybox/aerated livewell.

Thoughts of using a smaller pwc style battery to run the nav. lights & bilge pump have crossed my mind. Since the bilge will not run very often and the nav. lights draw so little, the amp hour need would be easy to satisfy. In searching the pwc batteries are small, light (~10lbs) with an AH rating on avg of 19ah.

Maybe a small spot for the trolling battery, but how/where would I put it without the need for a hatch? Would it be possible to fit it in the cutout of Frame B into a battery tray? Only issue is the batteries are around 70lbs and a PITA to move in a small space.

If you followed my wacked out train of thought, I am impressed. :o

Thanks,

Scott

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:26 am

I would reconsider a hatch. Dropping in a battery from above through a hatch is infinitely easier than trying to move one horizontal through the frame.

Gramps
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gramps » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:51 am

Very true, my current boat requires a little of both (sliding & lifting) and it is not fun. Would a hatch of the 3/8" Okoume be strong enough to hold 250lbs? I do want some "dry" storage area without compromising the open space in the cockpit.

Side question - On a certain Mfg. skiff the battery & aluminum fuel tank share the same space; one hatch in front. How is this legal with the USCG?

'noter side question - Hinges, what do you guys think about using the "piano" style hinges? Looks like a cleaner install, less to stub your toe on or catch a fly line.

Mad Dog
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Mad Dog » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:31 pm

Gramps,

Here is my $.02 on the hatch question. Buy one. I have three hatches in the sole of my rebuild that I am trying to construct. The idea is sound but the execution is not going well and the cost savings is not enough to make up for the grief. :cry: I doubt they will end up dry when I am finished.

Here is a hinge that I chose because it is a true flush mount hinge.

http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/browse.cfm/4,10759.html

MD :wink:

Gramps
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gramps » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:57 pm

Thanks MD. That is a very nice hinge and a great price. For me "dry" storage is not truly dry, just shielded from direct water. I always use a dry bag/box for the important stuff. The only reason to build the hatches is the hideous look of plastic hatches, would love to build some fiberglass hatches like in production boats. Know of any "how to's" for them?

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:06 pm

There are many ways to build draining flush hatches, they just take a lot of time.

A non draining hatch is very easy. You just cut your hatch, then glue up some plywood strips underneath so it creates a lip for hatch to rest on. For example if you use 3" wide strip, 1.5" is glued under the deck and 1.5" extends out to be the lip. Continue the strip out to a frame or the side of the boat to add stiffness to the deck (they double as deck beams).

Gramps
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gramps » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:37 pm

Thanks again Joel! What about that hatch mold you made for the Aquasport? Would it be worth it?

Ah hatch supports just like the sheet in the plans huh?

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:29 pm

Gramps wrote:Thanks again Joel! What about that hatch mold you made for the Aquasport? Would it be worth it?

Ah hatch supports just like the sheet in the plans huh?
You can use it if you come to get materials :) We loaned it out to a local customer and it needs some refinishing

Gramps
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gramps » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:32 pm

Ha I can't turn down that offer! I am moving to Stuart in the next few weeks and will be building by the start of the year. If you are not careful you will see me all to often!

Thanks again.

Btw, isn't that big boat surplus store in Vero?

Mad Dog
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Mad Dog » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:32 pm

What Joel described is how I built my hatches. I used 3M 5200 to glued in the strips. They seem to hold my 200 lb okay.

My problem is that I am not very good with saws so my cut outs were not too pretty. :oops: I got some extruded aluminum T-molding to cover the gaps. Again, not being good with a saw my 90 deg. cuts are never just right. :oops: :oops: Anyway that's why I say buy. But if you are a craftsman might be no problem for you.
:!: Maybe use some flat stock aluminum molding to cover the seams and keep most of the gunk out.

MD :wink: