GV13 Pics- with modifications

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
DaveProka
Active Poster
Active Poster

GV13 Pics- with modifications

Post by DaveProka » Wed May 07, 2003 1:47 pm

Hi all,

I couldn't resist posting a couple of pics of my GV13 in progress. You can see the modifications I'm attempting by following the links below.

I placed a piece of the deck on to illustrate that element.

The cane canoe seat backs are dry fit on the center seat to show that idea. I had to modify the seat backs slightly, removing one cross member on the front, but I'll make up for it when I add the substructure under the GV13 seat. There will be three posistions in the boat to place the seat backs- the two positions you see plus one position on the seat that has the small console dash board. You can position the seat back from either side of the seat to sit facing forward or aft in any of the three positions. It should make for comfortable fishing when trolling. They are removable and fold up for storage in the motorwell (purchased from Old Town Canoe).

I also went with four stringers which will support a flat sole and had to modify the frame cut-outs accordingly.

Finally, I added those large quarterseat lockers behind the rear seat. I think that's it. She's fair underneath, but not painted yet, and I haven't yet faired the sides. I'm waiting for fillers to finish installing frames and stringers.

-Dave

Comments are welcomed.

DrBones
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by DrBones » Wed May 07, 2003 4:07 pm

WOW! Looks great! I've been thinking about either the GV13 or OB15...either 'or' kind of situation. Been leaning towards the OB15 because of the console/and larger space. What made you decide for the GV13 vs the OB15?

As to the console on your GV13: what kind of motor are you rigging that up to? When you get to it, could you please post what kind of configuration you are opting for and how you are doing it? - I'm really interested in this, since it is the most expensive part of the project.

DaveProka
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by DaveProka » Wed May 07, 2003 4:47 pm

Thanks Doc.

I also wanted a large console. Originally, over a year ago, I wanted to build the GV17, which turned into the GV15 with time and budget constraints, then the GV13 with space constraints added in to the decision process. I had to give up half of my garage to a friend for storage, leaving me one bay. 13' Was the smallest I felt would make me happy. I really like the lines of all of the GV's anyway. I suppose I could go on for hours describing my twisted decision process, but we all have our own criterion.

I passed my changes by the designer (Evan Gatehouse) first and got his approval on everything. He suggested 25hp, since I've added some weight with the deck, lockers and raised sole. I think I'm going to go with a Honda if I can afford it. I've got some connections looking for deals. The designed console sits atop the first seat toward the bow- the seat in front of the one where I've placed the canoe seat backs. I'm keeping it Spartan on this boat- a wheel, throttle control, trim/tilt and maybe a tach. That's it.

I'm planning on documenting most of the process on a web site, but haven't gotten around to doing much of that. I'll try to keep updating with configuration info as I proceed.

-Dave

DrBones
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by DrBones » Wed May 07, 2003 5:56 pm

Looks like you went through the same decision 'process' I'm going through :) I have the same problems. Thanks for your response btw!

Now, I would like to have a boat I can take out on the bay - St. Marks/St. George Island Florida, to do some salt water fishing. Thing is, is there enough to stand in the boat to cast lines, etc.? I don't think I'll ever be taking out more than one more adult and possibly a child, but I would like to have a little space to put a cooler, tackle box..and a wee bit of space to stand up in just to cast.

Another thing that is influencing me, is that it requires less time to build.

DaveProka
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by DaveProka » Wed May 07, 2003 6:23 pm

True, it takes less time, but I would be careful about that trade. The GV13 as designed does not have a raised sole, not sure about the OB15, but standing on an angled hull floor for hours at a time casting would wreak havoc on my shins. So there's one reason to go bigger or modify.

Being a New Englander, and only visiting Florida a few times, I can't testify to the conditions you'll see on St. Marks, but I can tell you if you're going to see rough seas, stick with V hulls and more, rather than less, freeboard. If it's calm water you seek, you can get greater stability and just as much useful space from one of the Dory style boats like the OD16 or even the new GF18, which, although longer than the OB15, is probably easier, faster and cheaper to build.

Those are a few points I've picked up hanging around this message board the last year and a half. IMHO, don't go smaller than you're comfort zone will allow regardless of ease or time. I think you'd just be disappointed if you did that. Budget, well, that's another matter, but with patience, one can spread the costs out over time.

-Dave

DrBones
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by DrBones » Wed May 07, 2003 6:43 pm

Thanks! I haven't even looked at the OD16...but that also might be an option...no jig! Only thing is I might have to go w/a bigger motor...don't know if 25HP will be enough. Going to look into that. Thanks again!

DaveProka
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by DaveProka » Thu May 08, 2003 7:52 am

Doc,

Just a note- the 25hp is for the GV13. It's the max suggested size for that model. All of Bateau's boats have a max suggested rating. I'm no engineer, so I would check with them (Jacques and Evan) before upping the size for any boat beyond the recommended size. It has a lot to do with the weight of the motor and the strength of the transom- all the structure that supports the motor. I'd hate to split my boat in two on her maiden voyage after all this work.

-Dave

DaveProka
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by DaveProka » Thu May 29, 2003 4:56 pm

Here are a few more progress pics of the GV13. I like this Camano Red.

The center seat is glued in, but needs to be tabbed. The quarter seat boxes are built, but still need exterior tabbing to the transom and the motorboard is in. Just poured the foam and ran the rigging tube to the front seat, where the console will be. I placed a cardboard box, wrapped in plastic, under the bow seat and then filled around it to get the shape I want for my anchor locker, which will be built out of 3/8" ply scraps and I have purchased locking hatches from Cabelas.

Also, you can see how I made the seat backs reversable, so one person can drive while the other watches the rods when trolling, or you can sit side by side while cruising. There is one more position for the seat backs on the front seat, it will be next to the console.

-Dave

fishguru
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by fishguru » Thu May 29, 2003 7:14 pm

Doc, I have to disagree with Dave about the OD16. It is far from a calm water boat! It handles some of the nastiest water with ease. (Just a little slower). I have taken my OD16 from Point Judith, RI to Block Island, RI (About 12 miles Open Ocean) with no problems. It's true that when it gets a little sloppy you do have to slow down, but I've always felt safe in her and what’s the rush?
Now that I live in Jacksonville, FL. I take her all over the St. Johns River and out to some of the wrecks and sunken barges without hesitation.
Having built both the OD16 and the GV11 I honestly have to say that the OD16 was the easier one to build. It goes together so fast that within a week you have the satisfaction of seeing the shell of a boat. I’ve had my GV11 out 3 times so far and the GV is definitely a good looking boat been smooth in the water, but did seem to take a little more time to build.
Hoped this helps. I'm not knocking the GV13. It's a great boat. That’s why I built the GV11 for my kids, but you may want to take a good look at the OD16-18 if you want a stable fishing platform at rest and a boat that will get you home when it gets nasty.
Todd

DaveProka
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by DaveProka » Fri May 30, 2003 11:58 am

Yes, you're right Todd. I didn't mean to imply that the OD16 was restricted to flat water conditions. In fact, I considered building it, and have the plans for a similar design. I simply meant to point out that there are trade-offs between flat and V-hulls, which you have restated for me-"It handles some of the nastiest water with ease. (Just a little slower)". Speed is not important to me either, but since Doc was asking for advice on different designs, I thought I should pass on what I've heard from designers, and more than a few builders about different design elements like freeboard, and V in degrees + water conditions x speed = how many teeth you get to keep. In any case, I believe Doc went with the OD16 afterall. Either way, he's sure to have a nice boat with the flexibility to do what he wants.

-DP