WOOHOO!!! Finished!!!

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
fukes
Active Poster
Active Poster

WOOHOO!!! Finished!!!

Post by fukes » Sun May 10, 2009 9:24 am

So I've ordered my plans last night and figured I would start my thread in the correct section. Now what I am trying to figure out is shelter. I live in a patio apartment that has a small backyard area. There is room for the build but there is no cover. Does anyone see a problem with working in the open and covering with a tarp or should I look into one of those portable canopy deals? I should know for sure when I get the plans, but it looks like it has the option of being built on a jig, so I would have that elevated to a comfortable working height (I'm 6'5") so nothing is resting on the ground and then I thought a big tarp should work to protect it from the elements when I'm not working on it. I'm sure I could rig something to keep it from touching the surface in case epoxy is still wet. At any rate, I thought someone may have some prior experience with this and could share their wisdom. Thanks
Last edited by fukes on Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:47 pm, edited 22 times in total.

GV13, one day something a little bigger hopefully.

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: GV13 build coverage options

Post by TomW » Sun May 10, 2009 1:03 pm

fukes don't how much rain you get down there but with out a canopy type shelter your going to miss time when you could be working on the boat do to the wet stuff. You can throw together a canopy with a few 2x's and 8 mil plastic that will last for the length of your build.

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

fukes
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by fukes » Sun May 10, 2009 1:09 pm

Yeah, I had thought of that. I'm in North Florida so when it rains, it pours. I never paid enough attention to how much or how often though. :) I've looked around a little for those portable carport canopies and would hvae to spend at least $250. I think some 2x's would be cheaper. Once I get the plans I'll get the jig together and some type of cover. I plan on driving down to pick up the wood and epoxy. It's only a few hours south so cheaper than shipping.

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW » Sun May 10, 2009 1:18 pm

Yea fukes you can go 4' on center with them. I've done a bunch for temp nursery shelters. If you need help on design let me know.

Tom
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

fukes
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by fukes » Sun May 10, 2009 5:57 pm

Yeah, TomW, if you have a basic design I'd love to see it. I'm sure I could figrue the basics. I used to frame houses, but I dont want to build a little house in the back yard. :) What I'm stuck on is a way to do the roof so water doesnt puddle but without having to get too technical in the framing. I'm pretty sure my option to reply by email is enabled butif note it is fukes at hotmail dot com. Thanks.

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW » Sun May 10, 2009 9:58 pm

fukes you have access to a fax I could fax some drawings to you. Or send me your e-mail at arrowhea @ live.com, How much room do you have to work in for a shelter. 18 x 10 would be ideal for you, less with can work with or you can put the jig on wheels.

Tom
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

Aripeka Angler
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Aripeka Angler » Sun May 10, 2009 10:13 pm

I have a friend that built a shelter on the cheap. He sunk four 3 inch pvc pipes into the ground low enough that his mower didn't hit them. He capped them when his shelter has not erected so that the pipes did not fill up with dirt. Of course the caps were not glued. The uprights were 2 inch pipes that were connected with together with elbows and tees to form a frame. He threw a blue tarp over the rig for the roof. He drilled some holes in the pipes to attach the tarp to. Nothing was glued so it could go away without a trace when the shelter was not needed.

I thought about the rig tonight and I had the idea that you could drill some holes in the ground sleeves and uprights so the rig could be attached with rubber bungee straps to bring the rig up to hurricane code :lol: My friend only covered the top. You could add side curtains easy enough.You could use bigger pipes based on the size of your shed. Hope this helps...

Richard
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe
Currently building...PY12 Kayak and FS18 "Bare Bones"
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley

fukes
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by fukes » Sun May 10, 2009 10:32 pm

Tom,

No fax but I will shoot you an email. If I want to stay on the paved patio I have about 10ft (from eave to fence) by 17ft. The whole space is about 10ft (again measuring from eave to fence) by 35+ft, the section not paved of course being grass.

Richard,

I get the presunk PVC idea, but it is an apartment so not sure if i want to go that route. Out of curiosity, the 2 inch pipes you speak of for the frame, were they also PVC? I attempted a PCV canopy once (about 5 years ago) but use smaller pipe and was way to flimsy. I devised a system of crisscrossing rope connectors thinking to hold everything together but didnt work. :)

cran
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by cran » Mon May 11, 2009 8:09 am

I live in the North and did a 2X4 frame with tarps all around and a space heater to keep a decent temperature. It worked pretty well.

fukes
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: GV13

Post by fukes » Mon May 11, 2009 5:14 pm

I'm gonna jump around a little in things on this thread. Thanks for all the input on the shelter. I was wondering if there is a weight limit in the motor for this boat. I've already clarified it should work with a 15 hp and would be better with 25 hp which is the max, but if I find say a 30 hp or abouts, would it still work if not over a certain weight? I'm not trying to overpower the boat or anything but just trying to see what my options are as I will be looking for used motors. I've looked at the smalloutboards.com site and they dont ahve any 25 hp (right now anyways). I've seen 15 hp, 18 hp, 30 hp, you get the picture. Plus I think newer 4 stroke motors weigh more than their respective 2 stroker counterparts. So hopefully I have rambled too much and my question was clear. Thanks.