Central Florida Phantom 16 Build ****SPLASHED****

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
chopperman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Central Florida Phantom 16 Build ****SPLASHED****

Post by chopperman » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:46 pm

Hello fellow boat builders. I began this adventure a little over a month ago. Like many of you, this is a first for me. I currently fish in the Indian River and northern Mosquito lagoon in a 17 foot open-bow. The deep draft of this boat keeps me limited to pretty much the main channel of the Inter-coastal. I knew that I would need a shallow draft to get where I really want to go. I also wanted large casting decks and a poling platform.

After a couple of weeks going over the various plans, I decided on the PH16. My garage is only 18 feet long. This would give me a couple of feet to “squeeze” around the hull with the garage door closed.

I have been building now for a few weeks and plan to post some pictures. I now understand the addiction that is involved in this project. If I’m not building, I’m absorbing the vast amount of knowledge that is gained from reading the posts in this forum.
Last edited by chopperman on Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

chopperman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chopperman » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:44 pm

Since Bateau.com's office and warehouse is located 2 1/2 hours from my house, I took a road trip to Vero Beach to pick up the plywood and supplies. I had the opportunity to meet with Joel Shine. He was very gracious to go over the plans with me and help me secure the plywood in my truck. Isolated Thunderstorms were forecasted, so Joel helped me cover the plywood with a tarp. Unfortunately, I think I drove through every “Isolated” storm, as I lost count after 6 separate heavy showers throughout the trip. This made for a very stressful drive, worrying about the wood the entire time. :(

When I got home, I found that only the top piece got some surface water on it, but no damage :lol:

Completed: Phantom 16 viewtopic.php?t=19940

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Central Florida Phantom 16 Build

Post by TomW » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:04 pm

You cristened your boat before you even got it built. :D Welcome to the forum and look forward to your build.

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

chopperman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chopperman » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:42 pm

TomW wrote:You cristened your boat before you even got it built. :D Welcome to the forum and look forward to your build.

Tom
Well, I knew I wasn't quite ready to splash her yet. But I certainly did celebrate when I made it home :D

Mark

chopperman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chopperman » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:25 am

This was my first bulkhead cut out. I really enjoyed transferring the dimensions onto the plywood. I cut the plywood with a very basic "homeowner's" circular saw and found that my cuts came out fine:

I used an 8 foot piece of 1/2 inch pvc conduit as a batten and small finish nails for the shape. Worked real good to draw the curved shapes:

All of the stringers and hull pieces ready for splicing:

Let the splicing begin. :P This was my first encounter with epoxy resin. I followed the advise of many on the forum and everything set up ready to go: It really helped to have a plan in place:

chopperman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chopperman » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:14 am

Once I had all of the stringers and bulkheads notches cut. I was very anxious to see how the “puzzle” would fit together. I used a hand truck clamped to bulkhead “c” as a temporary brace. I was relieved to see all appeared to fit within tolerance:
:roll:

The strongback was build with a combination of 2x4’s and 2x8’s. I slowed down quite a bit to make sure that the strongback was built square:

It took two days of fine tuning, checking and rechecking several times to make sure that the stringers, bulkheads and transom were square. I used a combination of the string method and a laser level to square everything up:
Last edited by chopperman on Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:33 am

Welcome! You're making great progress 8)
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:50 am

glad you got back without too much water on the plywood.

Thats a very good strongback, its going to help in bringing those side panels down and tight to the sheer and bow mold. Its tough to do without a good bow mold.

cape man

Post by cape man » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:47 pm

You are going to love this project. Nice progress already. Welcome to the disease of boat building!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

BassMunn

Post by BassMunn » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:22 pm

Welcome to the forum! Another PH16 WhooHooo :D

You've done some nice work already, you can see your stringers and bulkheads and really lined up perfectly, should make stitching a breeze