Aquasport 246 from center console to pilot house!

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
bonz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Aquasport 246 from center console to pilot house!

Post by bonz » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:02 pm

Well here we go.... I have a 1982 Aquasport 246ccp. And with a rotted deck and 1 blown outboard I set out to rebuild her. But THANK GOD my buddy Dave turned me onto this website before I did any real work. I was gonna just replace the deck. But with some coaxing from Dave and seeing the work done by some of the people on this site I'm seriously considering scraping the center console and adding a pilot house. I live in NJ and in Mar,apr,may,sept,oct, the cold Atlantic spray is no picnic.I'm not an engineer but with techniques and materials from this website I know it can be done. The only question is should it? This hull has a deep v 20 degree deadrise and a small beam. Will it rock to much from side to side with the pilot house? Should I use foam or plywood? Should this hull not have a pilot house? Thats just a few of the questions I've been asking myself for a week now. And I would really love to know what you guys out there think. Positive or negative please feel free to weigh in.....thx :roll:
Last edited by bonz on Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Aquasport 246 from center console to pilot house!

Post by gstanfield » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:28 pm

Greetings and welcome to the sickness :D I'll go ahead and tell you the first thing we tell everyone who wants to undergo a restoration / repair / transformation build. Pictures of the existing boat will help a ton in giving advice. some of the folks here are surely familiar with that hull and don't need pictures, but others may not know that exact hull so either way we like to see pictures :D

The pics I found online shows it to be a nice looking hull with some good lines. I did find that they made a cuddy cabin version at one time so I'm sure it's possible to make this a good cold weather fisher.

Welcome,
George

bonz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by bonz » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:09 pm

Thank you George!! the sickness I like that!! Haaaa... yes I also found pix of it in a cuddy. And theres a guy on ebay selling the same year hull and he turn it into a walk around he shows some the pix with the work in progress. He really made some changes and he did an amazing job with it..and if you study it close it looks like he used some of the techniques and product I've seen on this site. If anybody knows this guy I would love to here from him...hes from Ga. He has all the weight forward and the boat sits beautiful...Pix of my hull are up now it took a little time for my buddy Dave to show me how to add the pixs.... 8)

Hope2float
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Hope2float » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:12 pm

Weclome bonz
Looks like infection is beginning to set in. I for one are in favor of the build. Cracker got to know him :lol:
Dave
Ps bill if it goes in the dumpster I would like the teak hatch in the bow.

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:57 pm

Heck, that doesn't look too bad, I've seen a lot worse :wink: She'll be OK. I don't think there's any problem with a small pilot house on it either, that's a lot of boat. Good luck with the rebuild.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Hope2float
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Hope2float » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:42 am

Bonz
I posted a picture of what or close to what you are talking about. You showed me this on ebay.
This is a walk around you are shooting for a pilot.
I would ask Shine for some input about the stringers should they be left or ground out. And how we can determine this.
Dave

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:26 am

The boat looks to be in good shape. The stringers look like foam filled glass stringers (trapezoid shaped). Aquasport started using those in the late 60's. As long as teh stringers are still bonded to the hull bottom, then you are in serious luck :!: It will be a very simple rebuild, just a new sole and a pilot house.

There are many boats smaller than your with pilot houses: you need to keep it as lightweight as possible.

Mad Dog
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Mad Dog » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:52 pm

Welcome Bonz. I think the CCP should handle a small pilot house pretty well. When you mentioned the pilot house it reminded me of a boat I saw in Port Aransas, TX last week. It had a 3/4 closed center console. I wish I had gotten pics of it. But imagine a CC with a T-top that is closed on three sides, the top half a frame with plexiglass windscreens. That would meet your need for an enclosure and minimize the weight gain. And, you would keep the fishability of a center console. :idea: I went by later to sneak a look at it but was gone. I talked with a fellow who worked nearby, he said it belong to his friend and he thought the make was a Maverick. Never heard of it but it could be worth a look on google.

Just a thought.

MD :wink:

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:59 pm

The pilot house on this boat is made completely out of aluminum. It's very light and very strong 8) The far side is completely enclosed, the near side is partially open for working the pot hauler. About the same size boat as your Aquasport.

Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Mad Dog
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Mad Dog » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:05 pm

Yep! That's just what I was trying to describe CL!

MD :wink: