It's time for a new boat!

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
MikeS
Active Poster
Active Poster

It's time for a new boat!

Post by MikeS » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:32 am

Jacques; I'd like to build a 28-29', 9-9'4" beam, center console boat similar to the Abaco 23. Requirements: able to carry twin 4-stroke engines of moderate power (175-225HP) on an Armstrong bracket; 180-200 gals gas; moderate vee, no deep vees due to fuel considerations; stable at anchor for reef fishing; cruise at 25-30 mph. Will make frequent trips to the Northern Bahamas carrying 4-6 people; gas is now $6.50/gal over there plus the Bahamas cruising fee has recently been changed to double at 30' so boat must be below 30'. Would love an Abaco 29!!!! As you probably know from the Abaco 23 design, Albury has a 27' boat and it's a beauty but way too many dollars for my bank account. I've also considered the GS28X but I'm concerned about the engine and fuel capacities. Have considered adding a 6-6 1/2" chine flat to the GS for more beam; how would that affect performance and capacity? C'mon Jacques, I know you can just plug these numbers into your computer and spit out a new design in a couple hours!!!! :lol: :lol:

Knottybuoyz
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: It's time for a new boat!

Post by Knottybuoyz » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:47 am

MikeS wrote:Bahamas cruising fee has recently been changed to double at 30' so boat must be below 30'.
Not according to noonsite.com
Fees

Note - June 2012: Noonsite has been advised that the proposed changes from 34ft down to 31ft has been dropped, but the change from 4 persons to 3 has been implimented.

Entry fees must be paid by all visiting yachts and are as follows:
- $150 for all vessels 34 ft and under.
- $300 for vessels over 34 feet

These fees are inclusive of a 12 month cruising permit, 3 month fishing permit and departure tax for up to three persons (captain plus 2 crew). Each additional person (over the age of 6) will be charged departure tax of $15 per person. These fees are not applicable to dinghies and life rafts imported via such vessels.

One should be sure to obtain a receipt from the clearing officer.

Extensions to the fishing permit cost an additional $150 for 12 months.

The cruising permit may be extended for an additional 2 years on application to Customs and payment of a fee of $500 per year's extension (further details above in the Customs section).

There are no overtime or other charges.

Last updated June 2012.
Yours Aye! Rick
"It's not the boat "you built" until you've sworn at it, bled on it, sweated over it, cried beside it and then threatened to haul the POS outside and burn it!"

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:08 pm

MikeS wrote:Jacques; I'd like to build a 28-29', 9-9'4" beam, center console boat similar to the Abaco 23. Requirements: able to carry twin 4-stroke engines of moderate power (175-225HP) on an Armstrong bracket; 180-200 gals gas; moderate vee, no deep vees due to fuel considerations; stable at anchor for reef fishing; cruise at 25-30 mph. Will make frequent trips to the Northern Bahamas carrying 4-6 people; gas is now $6.50/gal over there plus the Bahamas cruising fee has recently been changed to double at 30' so boat must be below 30'. Would love an Abaco 29!!!! As you probably know from the Abaco 23 design, Albury has a 27' boat and it's a beauty but way too many dollars for my bank account. I've also considered the GS28X but I'm concerned about the engine and fuel capacities. Have considered adding a 6-6 1/2" chine flat to the GS for more beam; how would that affect performance and capacity? C'mon Jacques, I know you can just plug these numbers into your computer and spit out a new design in a couple hours!!!! :lol: :lol:
That sounds like my next boat that Im building (in my head) :) , you will prob only need twin 150's maybe 175 to get a really nice cruise assuming you go with a moderate V and keep it somewhat light. Its a design I am very interested in personally.

The problem with that boat (as far as it being a stock boat plan we sell) is that for most people its a dream boat, we might sell some plans but it will not get built very often. We count on boat being built. Once people sit down to do the actual budgeting they discover the real cost of that boat (to do it right you will have about $50k just in motors, rigging, and hardware) the hull materials are a small % of the boat. Its true that it would be a $150k boat if you bought somethign new in that size range.

So I guess the question is how serious are you :) :?:

MikeS
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by MikeS » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:49 pm

Yep. New Contender 30 runs over $150K, the Albury 27 similar price. But, I'll still buy the first set of plans and I will build it! :D BTW, even my wife says we're REAL serious. She just retired 2 weeks ago, I retired 2 years ago and we're ready to start the new dreamboat and get it in the water! Get it designed and let's each build one! We catch some nice fish off Walkers and Grande Cay and farther down the Abacos.

MikeS
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Bahamas cruising fees

Post by MikeS » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:14 pm

Knottybuoyz; thanks for the link/updates. However, some folks have already been charged the updated fees down in West End and Bimini. Hope your info is correct and they keep the old schedule. Under the existing/old schedule you didn't have to pay the fishing permit again if you returned within 3 months so you got 2 trips for one fee. With the cost of gas over there every little bit adds up!

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:18 pm

If they do it by LOA, then you will be close to 30' with just a CS25 plus 3' of bracket and a couple feet of motor.

MikeS
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by MikeS » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:03 pm

If the boat has those fancy decals that read "Bateau.com" and "Abaco 29" then I'll be able to argue with them! :D Usually they just ask the boat length; never seen a tape measure in the Bahamas. Tapes don't fit in with: question: "What time is it?"; answer: "It's Bahamas time Mon, pass me a beer."

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:40 pm

The GS28 (or 28X depending on the material) is very close to what you ask: moderate vee for economy and decent stability on anchor. She can cruise easily between 25 and 30 mph with a single, no problem at all with twins.
The plans show a closed transom for a bracket.
We can increase the fuel capacity, there is room left and if needed, we can plan for saddle tanks (under the gunwale) but I assume this is about crossing either to West End or Bimini/Cat Cay. You don't need that much fuel to go each way. If you go 25 mph, I guess that the 120 gallon tank will leave you a safety margin. Anyway, it's not a big problem to increase fuel capacity.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

MikeS
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by MikeS » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:36 pm

Hi Jacques; thanks for getting back to me. We normally cross from Ft. Pierce to Walkers Cay for customs check in; then on to Grande Cay for the accomodations. About 115 miles to Walkers then another 10 miles to Grande Cay. I like the GS28X but was a little worried about the weight of twin 4-stroke engines plus additional fuel. We've gone over numerous times in a Regulator 26 and a Regulator 32, both of them deep vees and not known for good fuel economy. With the 26 we could travel over and fish for 1 or 2 days before refueling; the 32 was a one day operation and then fill up at Bahamas fuel prices! I mentioned in my original post that I could easily add a 6-6 1/2" chine flat to the GS28 making it just over 9' of beam and, I assume, helping somewhat with the weight. Would you recommend this or not? I don't want to screw up a nice design. I do know that in recent years Contender and others have had to add beam and other mods to their boats to support the 4-stroke engines.In addition, I plan on using the Armstrong bracket which will add some amount of flotation.

wadestep
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wadestep » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:56 am

I realize you sound pretty set on twins, but here's an idea:
about 8 years ago I was running back from Walker's in a 26' Intrepid with twin 200 2-strokes. halfway across the stream one engine died. The boat would not plane on 1 engine, no matter what we tried. So, the rest of the trip was made at 7-8 knots.

Now, if you built a GS28 with a single 300 on a bracket, you could easily have a 15 hp kicker on the same bracket. If the main engine died, you'd still be coming home at 6-7 knots, and not have the added upfront expense of the second large engine, nor the fuel burn of twins vs a single the other 99% of the time. Twin 150s are less fuel efficient than a single 300hp, due to the second outdrive, more motor, and more engine weight.

Fuel capacity is really up to you - there's space for more.
wade
Completed : OB19, CC14, GV10.