V12 Gaff Rig Plans

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
Oarelse
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

V12 Gaff Rig Plans

Post by Oarelse » Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:19 am

I noticed on the boatplans-online.com site that the V12 plan now shows what looks like a gaff rig on the picture. My plans only came with a loose footed sprit rig, and I would think I might like to try the gaff rig. Are the plans for the gaff rig available seperately? Do you have to make a new mast? I think I could wing it with just the sail dimensions.

Thanks for your help.

Dave Hahn
Delta, Utah

Mango
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mango » Mon Oct 20, 2003 11:35 am

Mine is gaff-rigged by my own design. I bought an aluminum extrusion with a channel from Dwyer for a mast and used epoxied and painted dowels from Lowes for gaff and boom. The biggest problem has been my steadfast refusal to pay the price for goosenecks, but I've done a little redneck engineering and have a suboptimal but working system.

I'm doing some repair on my sail, but once it's done I will try REALLY HARD to get some pictures of her under sail and post them.
Wes Williams
V12, CC, GF16

PJPiercey
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by PJPiercey » Mon Oct 20, 2003 12:53 pm

Dave,

I think your refering to the picture of the V12 I built. The sail I put on it came from this boat: http://www.whitehallrow.com/west.html

I bought the sail used. It came with the "lug" and boom. I built the mast for it to the dimensions on the V12 plans. At 56 sq ft the sail is larger than the one shown on the V12 plans but has suited my use very well. I wouldn't wany any less.

The V12 is a great hull and I think it would be easily driven by any number of sail designs.

Paul Piercey

Oarelse
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Oarelse » Mon Oct 20, 2003 1:12 pm

Paul,

That is the picture. Very salty looking. Thanks for the details. Do you have any lee or weather helm issues, or does the center of effort of this sail match the stock sprit rig-daggerboard positioning closely enough. It looks like it might have a little weather helm, which would probably be a good thing.

TIA

Dave

PJPiercey

Post by PJPiercey » Mon Oct 20, 2003 5:01 pm

Dave,

The photo gives the illusion of the boom being longer than it is. The boat sails great.

Paul Piercey

agiannelia
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by agiannelia » Mon Nov 24, 2003 2:02 pm

My question is: What are the relative advantages to the sprit/gaff rig w/o boom to the lug rig with a boom?

I'm a sloop sailor myself, building the spars for the V10 and intend to follow the designers plan for a sprit rig, but am curious which merits accrue to each type.

Alex

PJPiercey

Post by PJPiercey » Mon Nov 24, 2003 3:34 pm

Alex,

I think the boat will sail great with any of the rigs you mentioned. It just comes down to which one you like the looks of and will be able to construct. I choose the rig I have because I wanted more sail area and it was available :D

Paul Piercey

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Mon Nov 24, 2003 3:50 pm

At same sail area, the boomed rig will be easier to use by a beginner but one you get the hang of the loose footed sail, it will work just as well.
The boomless sail has the advantage of simplicity and it will not bang on your head during accidental jibes. :oops:
Other modifications are possible like some builder posted. The V10 and 12 have a small sail area, that was the program of the boat but they can take a larger sail if you want. Keep it reasonable.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

agiannelia
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by agiannelia » Mon Nov 24, 2003 4:01 pm

Thanks for the quick response. I read the articles on hollow mast construction and want to know from Jacques if I kept the 50mm O.D. on the V10 sprit mast, can I build it as an octagonal hollow mast? Without fiberglass, it should have 82% of the strength with 56% of the weight.

For now, I plan to build the sprit rig w/o boom to start, as I have enough of looking out for booms on my other boats.

Alex

agiannelia
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Sail Lofting

Post by agiannelia » Mon Nov 24, 2003 4:13 pm

Having settled the boom issue, if I want to cut/sew my own sails, do the plans provide for the camber in the cloth? I read the sprit rig instructions in the kit, and did not see a panel layout.

Is this even an issue?

Alex