R550

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
Vastringue
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

R550

Post by Vastringue » Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:48 am

:D Here is the link for some pictures of the construction of our boat:

http://gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.p ... &cat=11492

Vastringue

lstyles
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by lstyles » Mon Mar 01, 2004 12:18 pm

Looks good so far....keep those pictures coming!
thanks,
Lori

davesg
New Poster
New Poster

Post by davesg » Mon Mar 01, 2004 2:44 pm

Great to see some images. The boat looks like it's shaping up just like I'm imaging it from the plans. Can you share some of your experience setting up the jig? I'm a little concerned about the angled bulkhead, getting the angle right and all. Anyways, looks like really nice progress, hope to see more pictures soon!

David

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 » Mon Mar 01, 2004 3:20 pm

Nice...

Boat building is addicting. It's rewarding to see it come together, plain wood products finding a new identity as a crafted boat to carry people around over the water. And the R550 has some nice lines. Enjoy the creating.

I wonder if the website has the disk space for 10 to 20 seconds of mpg video of each completed boat. A boat in motion over the water is a pretty site.

Sincerely,
ks

chrisobee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by chrisobee » Mon Mar 01, 2004 3:38 pm

I had no idea that boat was so large....

LarryA
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by LarryA » Mon Mar 01, 2004 3:55 pm

ChrisObee wrote:I had no idea that boat was so large....
That was exactly the same response many of us had when Luis Pinto (I think that was his name) posted photos of his 550 a few years back. Unfortunately, his site disappeared.

Fred
New Poster
New Poster

Re: R550

Post by Fred » Mon Mar 01, 2004 4:49 pm

Thank you for the picture. Just studied the plans, was wondering, to position vertically the bulkheads, did you just draw a virtual line and reference from it the position of each bulkhead ?
how will you cut the plywood for the hull planking ? will you use the lines blue print ML 994 2A-US , I did not find any pattern for it in the drawing package and I am not sure how I will do it.
By doing it upside down like you are doing, how you will make sure the seam between the plywood of the hull and the bulkhead
I go sometimes to Montreal, if you are not too far, I would love to see your progress someday, I am in Mass
Best
Fred

Vastringue
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Vastringue » Mon Mar 01, 2004 7:53 pm

Thanks all of you for your good words.

KS, you really talk about boatbuilding whit poesy. And yes it is something like a creation.

She will be a special boat. 18' long and 8' wide. A sailboat made for planning and thrills but, regarding whit her lines and the weight of the centerboard, she will be a forgiving boat.

It is not a stitch & glue construction. She have to be built traditional way: upside down on a jig. Roughyly: on two strongbacks carefully levelled, you use a line to mark the center and you align each bulkhead with the DWL (water line) at the right distance. I think that the building of that boat is certainly not easy for the beginner but possible.

For Fred, there is no patern for the hull planking. You have to cut them from the dimensions of the bulkheads and the distance between them.

Vastringue

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 » Mon Mar 01, 2004 8:06 pm

Perhaps boat building is not quite creating, but it is creative, sort of. No matter what the genetic engineers think they can do, only God can make a tree, and maintain the rules that hold it together. Boat building is more like sculpting or applying ingenuity to form a new purpose or expression for a pile of resources. And a well designed and built boat is a beautiful thing, where it belongs, in the water, with people in it, or patiently waiting for her crew.

Nice to watch an R550 come to life.

I've got to finish this Caravelle!!! aargghh.

Sincerely,
ks

Dipadharo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

R 550

Post by Dipadharo » Wed Mar 03, 2004 4:51 am

Looking very nice! You are now ahead of me. Due to the size of the boat, I am having to build outside so am waiting for an improvement in the weather. Meantime I am progressing as much as possible indoors. Your frame looks really solid. I have cut my floors flat rather than curved for ease of attaching the floors and they are lowered by 10 cm as I will build a dagger keel with a lifting device - may even use the mast. Have you fitted the longditudinal frames already? What scarf method do you intend to use for the planking?

Best wishes, Robert