RB16 just orderd :-)

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
JonErtnes
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

RB16 just orderd :-)

Post by JonErtnes » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:35 pm

Well... I`ve finally done it; orderd the Plywood Kit for the Runabout 16 [RB16] incl. epoxy kit & foam.
Today i sat and watched all the boats out on the water, and realized that I just HAVE to have a boat. Not any boat, but MY boat. Something that really stands out. Yes, I could just buy any reasnobly priced boat just to get out there, but that`s not me. I want something different. :D
And I have some "Secret" plans for it already.

Privat boat building isn`t usual here in Norway, but there are a few around that`s built some really nice boats. Hopefully mine will be just as nice. ;-)

I will use this thread to post updates on my build. I guess it will take some time before it arrives.

So... Is there anyone else building this RB16, or have plans for it in the near future??? Would love to see some pics! :)

Regards

Jon from Norway

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: RB16 just orderd :-)

Post by jacquesmm » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:06 am

Thanks for the order.

There is at least one RB14 in Norway. We sold many plans for the RB12/14 and 16 but not many builders post here.

The JetAbout thread gives a lot of good information:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=40346&start=40

That boat is built the same way than the RB16 and shares the same looks.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

JonErtnes
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JonErtnes » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:59 am

My kit has arrived Norway, and it`s right now on it`s way through the customs. :)

But I have one question after studying the plans;
On the plan marked #B293/5, in the midle of the plan, there are drawing of the slits for tumblehome... But isn`t that drawn on the bottom sheet instead of the side sheet??? I have used alot of time to study this, and also checked the Pictures of the jet-verson you built, and as far as I understand, it should be the sides that shall have these slits...?

Just had to ask before I start building my dream. :)

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:27 am

I should have shown them on the other panel too.
You don't really need them on the bottom but it makes shaping easier.
In the kit bottom, I cut them at half depth only.

You have to cut the side slits during assembly.
You will understand when you get the kit. The side panel is made from 3 pieces that must be assembled before cutting the slits. The last puzzle joint goes over the slits! If I did cut the slits for the sides, we would have to ship a bundle of small pieces impossible to assemble correctly.
You must assemble the sides with the puzzle joints, epoxy glue them then cut the slits.

BTW, that,s for the RB16. The RB12 and RB14 kits do not have any slits. The panels are even smaller, too flimsy.

JonErtnes
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JonErtnes » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:41 pm

Aha... I see :D
Picked up the kit today and unwrapped it, just to get a quick look. And it looks GOOD! :D Will check it out more during this weekend.

Geir
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Geir » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:31 pm

Welcome Jon :)

Fun to see more builders from Norway. I,m located in Trondheim myself and build and RB 14 some time ago. Fell free to contact me by phone (47851117) if you want to. I'm also a bit curious about which shipping company you used, and if there were any problems. :)
As you already might have guessed english is not my native language, so please excuse me for any typos

JonErtnes
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JonErtnes » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:20 pm

Hello Geir! :D
Is it your RB14 that`s on Youtube? (Runabout 14)

I used Jetcarrier.com. They have their terminal here in Norway located in Halden (Tistedalen), and I picked it up there yesterday, as I live close by in Svinndal (right outside Moss). They will ship it to your door if preferd for an additional cost. The shipping went perfect, and the total cost incl. tax & insurance was just under 6,000 NOK. I bought the complete cnc kit incl. fiberglass, epoxy & foam.
I checked with a norwegian supplyer (Nes Sledeverksted, very nice & service minded :D ), and the cost of the plywood alone would be about 11,000 NOK. I paid about 15,000 NOK for all from Bateau.

I might call you, so thanx for sharing your number. Mine is 908 VETTE ;) (Noticed your avatar picture, and I belive we have more in common than just boats... :D )

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:08 pm

That is a good deal, about $ 1,000.00 to ship the whole kit.

PS: nice Corvette, I prefer my S2000.

JonErtnes
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JonErtnes » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:56 pm

jacquesmm wrote:That is a good deal, about $ 1,000.00 to ship the whole kit.
Incl. the norwegian tax (25%) :D
You have really good prices at E-boat/Bateau! Highly recomended! :D

BTW; I have a red -69 Coupe. ;)

vidar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by vidar » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:29 am

Jon, takk for infoen! Har vurdert Nes sledeverksted selv, men når man bor i nordnorge blir det fort dyrt. Kjekt å vite at det finnes alternativer!

Jon, thanks for the info! I have considered Nes Sledeverksted myself, but since I live in the northern parts of Norway, the freight costs is rather high. Good to know there's alternatives! I reeeeeeally would like a CNC kit from Bateau... :D

(Just to avoid alienating our English-speaking friends here :lol: )
There is a fine line between hobby and insanity...