FS19 - custom layout - split topic

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Marshall Moser
Active Poster
Active Poster

FS19 - custom layout - split topic

Post by Marshall Moser » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:14 pm

Where is the rear casting deck on the nesting?

Can frame F move forward?

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: FS19 - new design

Post by jacquesmm » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:42 pm

I am certain the dimensions are there somewhere. I am at home right but will check tomorrow.
You can move frames a little bit or add one.
What do you have in mind?

I seem to remember that you talked about a very large deck. That is fine but you have to keep the frames under the deck.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

Marshall Moser
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Marshall Moser » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:15 pm

I want to add rear locker space and seating like the ph18. Do I need to add a frame or can I just move f forward like shine did on the low sheer fs17? It would move forward approximately 1' or so.

Also, as it relates to flaring the bow, if I flared the bow, would I need to increase the width of the side panels to accommodate the flare? It wouldn't hurt my feelings to take some of the rake out of the sheer line so I could raise the casting deck up like a bay boat, but I'd like to do it by adding some NC flare.

Also, if I maintain the 3" frames, can I make c curved or bent to allow for a seat on the front of the console? Similar to production bay boats?

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:42 am

Marshall Moser wrote:I want to add rear locker space and seating like the ph18. Do I need to add a frame or can I just move f forward like shine did on the low sheer fs17? It would move forward approximately 1' or so.
To move it forward 12", you need an extra frame. A ring frame will add about 5 lbs. I designed the FS17 low sheer and the frame spacing was less than 36".

Also, as it relates to flaring the bow, if I flared the bow, would I need to increase the width of the side panels to accommodate the flare? It wouldn't hurt my feelings to take some of the rake out of the sheer line so I could raise the casting deck up like a bay boat, but I'd like to do it by adding some NC flare.
No need to change the shape. If you do, it will not bend. There will be a small gap between the slits, maybe 1/4" each.

Also, if I maintain the 3" frames, can I make c curved or bent to allow for a seat on the front of the console? Similar to production bay boats?
That last one I don't understand. Curved in plan view? I don't think anybody does that. What you see is probably a liner, not a real frame.

Marshall Moser
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Marshall Moser » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:55 am

jacquesmm wrote:That last one I don't understand. Curved in plan view? I don't think anybody does that. What you see is probably a liner, not a real frame.
It is definitely a liner, but I'd like to shift the console forward a bit to compensate for my above average girth and add a jump seat to the front of the console. If i maintain the frames below the sole and 3" up the sides, the bow deck configuration can be whatever? Curved in plan view? I guess what i want to make sure is that since the boat can be built open, the casting deck support is only structural to the casting deck.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:46 am

There is probably a straight frame behind that curved part, you don't see. mechanically, you don't put pressure from the sides on a curved frame, it is a recipe for breakage. You can have a straight frame made from 3/8 and then add a curved "fairing" made from 4 or 6 mm. Same technique.
You can't bend the 3/8 anyway.

I am going to split this thread.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:54 am

Marshall Moser wrote:Where is the rear casting deck on the nesting?

Can frame F move forward?

There is no rear casting deck in the standard version. There are two seat boxes besides the motorwell and I see the parts on the nesting drawing.

You can build a rear casting deck, no problem but:
- you MUST keep the motorwell bulkhead
- you should extend the rear deck to station D.
The dimensions for the frame are on the plans. For the deck, please take dimensions from the assembled hull.
You could cut it before before you have the lengths and widths at each station but it is safer to take the dimensions from the hull with the frames in place.

Marshall Moser
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: FS19 - split topic

Post by Marshall Moser » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:59 am

jacquesmm wrote:- you should extend the rear deck to station D.
I don't understand. I will install the sole as designed. I want to add a rear casting deck frame between E & F. Are you saying the rear casting deck should extend forward to D?

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:18 pm

OK, E makes sense.
To go all the way to do would be excessive but I am trying to figure out where we go with this modification.
It looks simple, a deck that goes from the transom to E is fine but you can not omit F, you need that frame.

Marshall Moser
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Marshall Moser » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:48 pm

:D

I think we have it now.

On the kit, I want to raise the rear casting deck up to the sheer line. Is it possible to get some of the sheets left uncut, or not all the pieces cut from the sheets?