OB15 (LS)

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Stinkyface
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

OB15 (LS)

Post by Stinkyface » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:14 am

Just picked up my kit from the shop the other day to save on shipping. Jeff and Reed are super good guys- thanks again.

Seaslug- if you're reading this, awesome job on the FS14LS.

No pictures worth anything yet, but I am building my strong back. I couldn't find any straight lumber so I ripped an half inch thick sheet of plywood down in to 6 inch strips and glued them together to make a straight (1.5x5) 16ft (ish) beam then ran it through a table saw to make sure its true. It's difficult working with something that large by yourself. I am not sure if I am happy with it or not. I may buy two versa lam beams for the strong back. I have to go to work for a few days so more progress hopefully when I return.

joe2700
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: OB15 (LS)

Post by joe2700 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:40 am

If you can find some lumber that isn't terrible you may be able to force it straight as you build the strong back depending on how you do it. You can oppose the curves to even out and then put tension across the diagonals to bring it square. If you can buy something already straight that's better, but you can make it work with imperfect lumber if you need to.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:12 am

Congratulations on starting your build. Anything about your build is worth taking pictures of it, the good and the bad. There are a lot of experienced builders that come on regularly and don't mind sharing what they know. They may help you out of a tough spot.

Good luck on your build and post pictures!

KenJ

DAYTRIP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by DAYTRIP » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:55 pm

So what is the difference in the (LS)? I built the OB 15 12 years ago. Cool boat!

Stinkyface
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Stinkyface » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:17 pm

Daytrip- I plan on lowering the sheer some so I made up the LS kinda like the fs14 vs fs14ls.

I didn't get the strongback done today. I had company keeping me busy. Looked through about 50 pieces of lumber at Home Depot, all as crooked as the day is long. I did find some laminated beams for less than 60 bucks apiece 16 foot long one and three-quarter by 7 inches or something like that.
Last edited by Stinkyface on Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seaslug
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by seaslug » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:27 pm

Thanks for the compliment on the FS14. I'm really looking forward to this build because I absolutely love this design. Any idea what motor you'll be using? When you build your strong back, I found that a height of about 24" was comfortable for me to work on the boat both upside down, and after the flip. Don't be shy about asking questions, everyone here likes to help out, and we all love to see progress on any build. It's a lot of fun, so enjoy the build, and good luck. Mike, aka, Seaslug

topwater

Post by topwater » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:51 am

Just buy one 7" LVL beam and cut it in half. You won't be sorry.
Novi 23 finally launched !

Stinkyface
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Stinkyface » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:35 pm

Topwater, I ordered two 16 footers. It was cheaper than one 30ft.

I have no clue on what motor. I had an Etec on my whaler but I had problems and at less than three hundred hours the computer fried and left my dad and I stranded on the St. John's during gator season. An airboat towed us back... I probably had $2000 worth of warranty work done on it, not including the computer which happened just out of warranty but a lot of complaining and good maintenance records was proof that it was well taken care and documented hours got evinrude to give us a good deal on a new computer. I do love two strokes though... Dad has a Yamaha his capehorn, we are not really impressed. People swear by every brand out there, we have always had terrible luck. Back when I was a kid my bought a used 9.9 evinrude for my aluminum boat. Do you know how many tins I forgot to add oil!? Most of the time. Tons of hrs and that thing never skipped a beat. Anyway, for now all I know is it is going to be a tiller and probably a 30 hp.Thank you for the suggestion on the height. When I was working on the strong back I was really wondering what would be appropriate. I have no problem asking questions seaslug, I will strive to rival your work!

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:22 pm

Stinkyface don't over power your OB15 a nice 15HP will be plenty. Jacques boats are very light compared to commercial boats. A 30 will weigh to much and will definitely over power the OB15. I would really recommend no more than a 15 on a low shear OB15. You will have plenty of power and top speed will be in the 20's.

Look forward to your build. :D

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses.

DAYTRIP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by DAYTRIP » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:35 am

For reference I had a 45 Mariner on mine. Weight was not really a factor. It did 35mph if I remember correctly. Depends what you plan on doing with it but I would personally stick with 30. As tom said the boat will be lighter then any production boat of the same size. I