pilothouse console

Please see our tutorials and FAQ before posting.
wrfreeman
New Poster
New Poster

pilothouse console

Post by wrfreeman » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:37 am

First time builder...
I received my plans for a console, pilothouse build. the plans do not go into detail on roof supports. Anyone have any info? I've searched the forum with no luck.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: pilothouse console

Post by OrangeQuest » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:51 am

Welcome to the forum wrfreeman!

Give it time and other will be happy to help you, I can't say I would be much help. What kind are you looking to build and what kind of boat will it be going on? The builders may also need to know if you need the roof strong enough to do some sort of dancing on it when you catch that record size trophy fish! :D Anyway, details and pictures work best with these guys. Again, welcome to the board.

OQ
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

wrfreeman
New Poster
New Poster

Post by wrfreeman » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:02 am

Thanks OrangeQuest. no hurry on the info. I'm making a 22' Starcraft Chieftain into a more useful fishing boat. Cuddy and floor already removed. I was thinking the standard console with T-Tops or a small pilot house would work as well. The roof will only be for weather, and maybe lights and rocket launchers. I though I would build my own console after looking at the prices of them. Thanks again

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:06 am

wrfreeman wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:37 am
First time builder...
I received my plans for a console, pilothouse build. the plans do not go into detail on roof supports. Anyone have any info? I've searched the forum with no luck.
Let me know which one you are building and what details you need. Those consoles are very simple, often the roof is just a sheet of plywood over cambered roof beams. The roof beams are an extension of the sides, the plans show that and the dimensions. If not, post here.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

wrfreeman
New Poster
New Poster

Post by wrfreeman » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:51 am

Jscquesmm,
I'm planning right now on the pilot House Type 1. After reading further I believe I can manage the transverse beams angels from the original cut of the front of the pilot house? I see that also applies to the transverse frame on the back of the console? Maybe I should just build a console and buy T-Tops!

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:11 am

That's it. Look at the side view and see the dimensions on A296/4.
The front and the rear have exactly the same outline, same curves at the top. They are mirror images. You can cut the front and use it as a template for the rear but cut it with a full opening, vertical sides 3" wide or made from a 1x3 board with a roof beam at the top. Roof beam exactly the same as in the front. It is easier to make it in 3 pieces: 2 vertical sides and one top roof beam with overlapping corners.
I should have drafted an assembly drawing but this is for people who have built a whole boat and I guessed that they would be familiar with the technique. Some may want to build the console first, to practice with materials and I"ll see if I can add something to the drawings.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

wrfreeman
New Poster
New Poster

Post by wrfreeman » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:09 pm

Thank you

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:34 pm

I am confused.

Are you modifying a Starcraft with a Merten's design?

We'd love to see and support that in the repair section if you purchased a plan, which appears to be the case.

I have often wondered about refitting such a hull with ob bracket and a pilothouse.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

wrfreeman
New Poster
New Poster

Post by wrfreeman » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:21 pm

I am indeed Fallguy. Pilot house and bracket on the starcraft. Although the Chevy straight 6 is strong! Give me a couple weeks and I’ll post some stuff there. However, I typically cut stuff with a nail mark and chainsaw so keep the critiszms mild for a while!

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:58 am

If you look at my build; you'll see chains of various lengths on one or two pics. Let me know if you need a field edging, that ally can be tough if you bump it!

Honestly, you will probably get hero praise.

My advice. Keep her light. Build with foam or she'll get rolly on you.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495