Randy's GF 18

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Randy
Active Poster
Active Poster

Randy's GF 18

Post by Randy » Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:05 pm

Moving forward with build after several interuptions. The boat has been moved 6 or 7 times, spent almost a year right side up in the weather, and has been close to three years in the making.

She is going to have a work boat type finish and be used for fishing the shallows on the mid-texas coast. Tere are lots of Oyster bars and bottom in the area, so the boat will more than likely get banged up.

I am very happy with how the color turned out, I mixed one part Pettit Shipendec Newport green with two parts Pettit Shioendec Gloss white. The color I was trying to match is the Seafoam green used on Sea fox and Sea Craft boats.

Trying real hard to be fishing in time for Spring Specks.

jasonmcintosh
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jasonmcintosh » Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:57 pm

Nice to hear from you. I remember carefully looking at your transom shot several years ago. I don't know how many GF18's have been finished. One guy finished his and said it was "great" and then never heard from him again...

Jason
Hopefully fishing from my GF18

Randy
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Randy » Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:14 pm

Finishing is sometimes harder than starting, you got yours done fast.

I had hoped to be the first GF18 when I bought the plans the first week they were out, but the best laid plans.......

I have looked at your gallery many times for inspiration, thanks.....

jasonmcintosh
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jasonmcintosh » Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:41 pm

Don't know if you saw this site, but it's all of my building and 1st use pictures. Lots of big pictures so they take awhile to download:

http://jasonmcintosh.dyndns.org/gf18/

ovaforty
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ovaforty » Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:42 pm

I can help you flip her when you are ready for that, I think. Just shoot me an email.

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry » Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:46 pm

Beautiful job on the GF18, Jason. I hope mine comes out that nice. Just ordered the plans last week.

Looks like your son is going to be quite a fisherman :!:
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry » Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:47 pm

Oh Jason, how is the performance with the Merc 40? Are you happy with it?
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

jasonmcintosh
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jasonmcintosh » Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:24 pm

Thanks for the comments.

The 40 does great with my family, but it had a hard time getting around 1000 lbs of people/gear/coolers up on plane the one time I was loaded that heavy. I think that the 50 hp motor was essintially the same weight. I probably should have bought that one instead, but the 40's working just fine. Maybe the 40 has better fuel efficiency...

The fastest the boat will run is 27 mph. I've got a small hook in the hull which may be the reason for the low speed with the 40hp. Another builder and I think the hook is in the plans, but Jacques disagrees. I'll just say we're all right and recommend you keep an eye on your hull while building it. Make sure the last 8' of the hull is flat to within 1/8"(?).

Jason

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry » Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:31 pm

Yeah, I thought the 40 might be a little slow with a load.

Thanks for the heads up about the hook. My GF 16 tried to hook or develop rocker when I bent the sides around the frames. I had to clamp the rear half of the boat down on the building jig to keep it flat. Fortunately I noticed what was happening before it was too late. It is probably a more pronounced effect with the longer hull. The GF 12 I just finished for a neighbor did not have that tendancy, or not enough to notice.

Anything else you would do differently if you were building another one?

Larry

jasonmcintosh
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jasonmcintosh » Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:38 pm

Cracker Larry wrote:Anything else you would do differently if you were building another one?
I sometimes think that gunnels would be nice to sit and step on. A bimini that covered 70% of the boat would be nice, but I don't know how to do that w/o being in the way when it's down, so I'm stuck with my pretty umbrellas. I put the console to the rear/side so I could put a tent up on it, but I’ve only slept on it 3 times. So maybe a real CC would have been better.

But it’s a great boat.

My single biggest wish is to have something I could take offshore. I mainly expected to go in the everglades, but the salt water has turned out to be infinitely more fun. (The GF18 is the first saltwater boating I've done.) Maybe a CX17 would have been a better boat for me, but I sure do love the room on the GF18. I'm sure envious of JimW's C19... :)

Jason

EDIT: certainly the worse thing about the boat is that I don't spend enough time on it.